With 14,000 industrial jobs, 1000 businesses and 2500 researchers, the healthcare sciences and technologies sector is a fast-growing industry in Aquitaine, boasting a unique concentration of resources and talents.
Bordeaux Métropole offers a particularly favourable environment and numerous other assets in biotechs, healthcare and associated services to industry:
- One of France’s leading university hospital centres (4th)
- Bordeaux University: close to 100,000 students, ‘Initiatives d’Excellence’ accreditation in the framework of the Future Investments scheme
- Countless research institutions: 2500 researchers in the life sciences, chemistry and materials sciences,
- Fields of academic and technological excellence (internal link on diagram)
- A network of platforms and technology transfer centres available to industrial corporations: Bordeaux Functional Genomics Centre, Bordeaux Imaging Center, etc.
- International groups and cutting-edge industrial expertise: Merck Millipore, Sanofi Aventis, Stryker Spine, Ceva Santé Animale, Acteon, Fluofarma, Créapharm, McNeil Research & Development, Brystol Myers Squibb…
- Meetings between academics, researchers, businesses and local stakeholders organised all year long in order to foster discussion and develop the industry: Biomeeting and the Health Forum
- An Inter-profession Grouping of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Industries (GIPSO)
- Aquitaine Association of Competencies in Biomaterials and Implants. 2ACBI brings together academics (biomaterial research) and industrial players in the field of biomaterials and medical devices.
- The Healthcare ICT Cluster: France’s n°1 region for Hospital Information Systems and medical software.
Areas of scientific excellence
Epidemiology and Pharmacology
Bioimaging, Lasers, Photonics
Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials
Cardiology and Heart Rhythm